Of course I got a kick out of the Project Hail Mary movie, I was having a miserable week and it featured the most lighthearted apocalypse in a decade. That it also had a smart woman demanding a mediocre man meet her expectations and/or get his ass kicked was a very nice bonus. The only thing that could make this more of a C. J. Cherryh plot would be a crushing responsibility to Fix Things Or Else, tight third PoV with sleep deprivation and a narrator questioning who he is... oh no. Ohhhh no.
The part of Ride Or Die Life Companion will be played bythe rock muppet James Ortiz and the puppet team.
The part of Ride Or Die Life Companion will be played by
no subject
on 2026-06-23 04:08 pm (UTC)Though for maximum impact we should wait another 40 years, and then hope she has a great-granddaughter who goes into acting.
no subject
on 2026-06-24 12:59 am (UTC)no subject
on 2026-06-24 01:04 am (UTC)no subject
on 2026-06-23 04:36 pm (UTC)I admit I did not think Cherryh at all, it's just way too lighthearted to give me that vibe :) But I see where you are going with this... someone needs to write the Cherryh-inflected version, maybe...
On a not-Cherryh-inflected version, have you seen
https://archiveofourown.org/series/6135286
no subject
on 2026-06-24 01:09 am (UTC)I may be over-reading character dynamics from other stories. I embrace this possibility. Sunday night I also found the part of the internet which started at "I support women's rights and wrongs", hashtagged Eva Stratt, and is enthusiastic about a) throwing Ryan Gosling character's into an airlock b) speculating on how bad Stratt felt about it, vs how necessary she felt it was. Stratt is living in another genre, Grace is a fairly unreliable, or perhaps self-absorbed PoV character, so we're missing some perspective on exactly what flavor of apocalyptic genre she's experiencing.
I HAVE NOT SEEN MELANNEN'S PHM FICS. Thank you!